February, the month known for shades of red and hearts, has rolled around once again! In addition to it being the American Heart Association month and Abe’s and George’s birthday, a number of other groups call February their home as well. Did you know that this is Cat Health month? What about National Grapefruit month? Here’s a list of groups that look for recognition in the short 28/29 days February has to offer. Chances are you haven’t heard of several of these. Click on the links to learn more about them!
- National Cat Health Month
- Grapefruit Month
- Snack Food Month
- Bird Feeding Month
- Potato Lovers Month
- Bake for Family Fun Month
- Library Lovers Month
- Friendship Month
Ten Random Facts About February
1. The amethyst is the birthstone for February.
2. February is National Grapefruit Month.
3. In February 1960, the original cast recording of The Sound of Music took the top spot on the Billboard charts.
4. The two Zodiac signs for the month of February are Aquarius(January 20 to February 18) and Pisces (February 18 to March 20).
5. February is Black History Month in the U.S.A. and Canada serving as a remembrance of important people and events in African American history.
6. February is National Cherry and Chocolate Month.
7. The first United States president and founding father George Washingon was born on February 22, 1732.
8. The violet is the birth flower for February
9. February was named after the Latin word “februa” which means cleansing or purification, and reflects the purification ritual undertaken before Spring.
10. February, having only 28 days in common years, is the only month of the year that can pass without a single full moon.
Check out this link to learn more about how February is more than just the month of hearts! http://voices.yahoo.com/trivial-facts-february-5359205.html?cat=37
There’s only a few days left until Valentines’ Day, so hurry and treat your special someone to the most decadent and luscious chocolates you’ve ever tasted!
Amore Vietato (Forbidden Love)
– 2 oz. Hendricks gin
– 1 oz. blood orange juice
– Dash simple syrup, 2 strawberries
– 4 slices of cucumber
Muddle fruit with simple syrup, add gin and blood orange juice. Shake and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with strawberry, cucumber spiral and orange peel hearts.